These teff flour pancakes come together in sweet and spicy matrimony. They’re dense and filling with just a touch of savory cream cheese flavor. I like them with syrup, some extra cream cheese, and chocolate chips on top, but if your sweet tooth isn’t as prominent, they’re just as good plain!
2 medium bowls
1 cup ground teff or teff flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature
4 strips jalapeño bacon, fried and chopped
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Artist: Malatu Asatke
Album: New York – Addis – London: The Story of Ethio Jazz 1965-1975
1. Preheat oven to 200F; place a baking sheet or glass plate in the oven to keep cooked pancakes warm.
2. Take the cream cheese out of the fridge and let it soften to room temperature. Or (if you’re impatient like me) scoop the cold cream cheese into a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 10-second intervals until soft.
3. Fry 4 pieces of bacon in a skillet. Place on paper towels and set aside to cool.
1. In a mixing bowl, sift together 1 cup teff flour and 1 cup whole-wheat flour. Then whisk in 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk 2 eggs. Then whisk in 1 3/4 cups milk and 1 package of cream cheese.
3. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Carefully fold until just moistened—a few small lumps are okay.
4. Place a large skillet over medium heat. Coat the skillet with butter or oil so the pancakes remove easily.
1. For each pancake, spoon 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet.
2. Crumble some of the bacon pieces on each pancake.
3. With a spatula, lift and peak under the pancake to check if they are browned, about 1-2 minutes. Flip using a spatula and cook until browned on the other side.
4. Transfer the pancakes to a baking sheet or plate in the oven; loosely cover with aluminum foil to keep them warm.
1. In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter, 1/4 cup honey, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Pour over pancakes and serve.
2. Or you can top your teff-tastic pancakes with whatever toppings you like!
Recipe adapted from: