These little guys are the perfect treat for breakfast. Kiwi berries bring a pop of tropical sweetness while the lemon zest fills your kitchen with the scent of citrus.
1/2 cup coconut oil or vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 large egg
1 cup kiwi berries, chopped
1-1/4 cup milk (I used soy milk)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large lemons, zested
2 1/2 cups flour
Artist: Lemon Jelly
Album: Lemon Jelly.ky
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease the cups of your muffin tins with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
1. In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup honey together with a whisk. Add 1 egg and beat well. Mix in 1 cup kiwi berries and 1 1/4 cup milk, followed by 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla, salt, and lemon zest.
2. Add 2 1/2 cups flour to the bowl and mix with a large spoon until just combined. A couple lumps are okay.
3. Pour the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with about 1 teaspoon of sugar each.
1. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the tin and place them on a rack to cool.
- Enjoy the muffins plain—or with a spread of butter or a drizzle of lemon juice.
Recipe adapted from: