* * *
Originally, this recipe was going to be a frittata, but then I thought bread pudding was more of a treat (since we’re celebrating, here). And instead of apples I was going to use radish and turnip greens. But I’m glad with the end result. The sweet apples work well with the spicy cheddar. It’s hot, savory, and sweet all in one!
* * *
~*~ CHIPOTLE CHEDDAR PUMPKIN STRATA WITH APPLES ~*~
Another classic comfort with an autumnal twist. This recipe is quick and has a mighty kick! If you can’t find chipotle cheddar, use regular with 2 teaspoons of chipotle powder (or minced pepper if you love your heat). Add sausage and top with crème fraiche for a well-rounded meal.
4-6 bread slices
1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large (or 2 medium) granny smith apples
1-2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
4 oz Cabot chipotle cheddar
4 large eggs
1 cup milk (sub with nut or soy)
1 cup pumpkin or squash purée
parsley, for garnish
Artist: Studio Rio
Album: The Brazil Connection
MISE EN PLACE
1. Toast the bread. Preheat oven to 350F. Cut garlic in half and rub the slices of bread with the cut side. Then mince all the garlic. Cut the bread into 1-inch thick cubes. Transfer to a baking sheet and toast for 15 minutes until dried out. Let cool and keep the oven on.
2. Prep other ingredients. Dice apples. Great cheddar.
3. Cook apples. Heat butter over medium heat in a pan. Add the apple. Cook, stirring often until golden and softened. Add the garlic, chipotle powder, maples syrup and salt to taste. Cook for 1 more minute.
MAKE THE STRATA
1. Grease a dish. Oil, butter, or spray a baking dish.
2. Combine ingredients. In a large bowl, toss the bread, apples, and cheddar with your hands. Pour into prepared baking dish.
3. Mix wet ingredients. Whisk together the eggs, milk, pumpkin purée, and salt & pepper to taste. Pour over the bread mixture. Let sit for 5 – 10 minutes so the bread can absorb some of the liquid.
4. Bake. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until puffed and browned. Remove from oven and serve hot or warm. Garnish with minced parsley.
~*~ HEALTHY VARIATION ~*~
Use whole wheat or gluten-free bread, low-fat milk, and sub the butter with oil.